Saturday, January 30, 2010

Burqa

In my free time or if I’m bored during a class I like to read the news especially on NPR. There is just something about NPR that makes it different than most other news stations. This week I read an article called “French Panel: Ban Burqas in Public Buildings”, which I found to be very Interesting so I decide to write about it. The article talked about how a commission in France wants the Burqa or full veil to be banned in Public building. This is not the first time that France has been having issues with the veil. In the previous years France had issues about whether women should be allowed to wear the Hijab(the one I wear).

I personally don’t understand whether their ban on the Burqa is because they want to be secular or growing intolerance towards people’s religious beliefs like banning minarets in Switzerland. My personal belief is that if you live in a secular country then people should have the choice to practice their religion freely. Being secular means separating state and religion but that doesn’t necessary mean people shouldn’t be able to practice their religion?

When it comes to the issue of Burqa, there are other arguments about whether the burqa is even part of Islam or it’s just a cultural practice but I think women should still have the right to choose. For someone who covers veils, I don’t think the hijab is taking away my freedom. From the article Nicolas Sarkozy is quoted saying, “"The burqa is not a religious problem. It's a problem of freedom and the dignity of women." I don’t agree with that because if you choose to do something then your freedom is not being taken away.

I don’t think the issue of veiling will ever be a clear cut argument because there will always be people who will support and people who will not. But I think the important issue is how we deal with growing religious and cultural diversity. Can we merely say no to religious practices because it doesn’t fit a country’s view or should people be allowed to practice their religion or culture? Because if people are not allowed to practice their belief then doesn’t that means their freedom is being taken away.

If you are interested in reading the article:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122970914

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. A secular nation does not have the right to prohibit you from practicing nonsecular traditions. Their business is the nation not religion or culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word, no one should be prohibited their beliefs. I remember some of my friends went to missions in China, and you were not allowed to have religious gatherings without being put in jail. NOT COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH!!! France drives me f-ing crazy with this stuff -- pardon my language -- but that's how I feel. Turkey, where I lived for four years, also modeled its idea of secularism on France's, and I have seen first-hand how opressive it can be. In Turkey, a 99 % girls in public schools -- students -- are not allowed to even cover their heads. Public school teachers have been fired for being seen to wear a hijab or headscarf OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL. Some summarize it by saying in America, separation of church and state means 'Freedom of Religion,' wheras the French-style of secularism means 'Freedom *from* Religion.'

    Also disturbing is that, as with the minaret ban in France (ReALLY?? Minarets are some of the most beautiful and elegant architectural pieces that can grace a skyline -- whether you are religious or not), there is definitely an Islamophobic element to all this. It is not about women's rights or secularism, in my opinion, it comes instead from a prejudice against, more precisely, a fear of Muslims. Furthermore, this kind of oppressiveness just encourages radical politicized beliefs on the part of Muslims who feel oppressed by Western governments. I hope and pray that America continues to stay (mostly) tolerant of all religions and to set the example for a truly open society in regard to religion, which encourages so many immigrant and citizens of all religions to be patriotic.

    SORRY FOR RANTING!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *I meant to write "A 99% Muslim country"*

    ReplyDelete