Right from the beginning, many cell phone companies allowed users to donate by sending a text message and a 10 dollar amount would be charged on their cell phone bill. I think one of the most creative ways was the different games on face book like Farmville or Fishville which allowed you buy things and all the money would go toward the earthquake relief. Even at the University book store you can donate a dollar every time you go to buy your books or something else.
I think these are all great ways to generate funds towards relief effort but also a way to spread awareness about what is going on. I remember back when I was a freshman in high school and Hurricane Katrina hit. Then a little while after a 7.6 magnitude earthquake hit the region of Kashmir, which many people didn’t even know about. I don’t think those got as much attention as the earthquake is getting today. I think the main reason this in these four years; communication has changed in many ways.
I think overall, social networking sites such as face book have been a great way for people to learn more ways that they can help the people affected by the earthquake. As compared to before where people had to watch the news or read the news paper to learn what is going on in the world, they can see a status update or a group that is created on facebook. Also once people are aware of what is going on, they might be more likely to help the effort.
I totally agree -- the texting and other socially networking attempts to help are amazing. Americans, and let's face it, most people in general are slaves to convenience, so it's great that it's available. It's a little sad, though, that Haiti so far has been getting more attention and donations than New Orleans was at the time. The images and the numbers out of Haiti are devastating. I wonder if there's anything we can do as a class to make an effort to contribute. Any ideas?
ReplyDeleteDang, they used farmville? Thats pretty smart. I'm also glad that different companies are making an effort to inform the public. Especially about things like the Haiti Earthquake, where help is needed.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea about the facebook applications donating money. I completely agree with you that many more people are aware of what is going on around the world because of the better communication and that it's great so many people want to help. I know that I have already donated quite a bit through the bookstore.
ReplyDelete