Tuesday, March 16, 2010

News

I have always been annoyed at the way Israel has been dealing with Palestine because it isn’t fair and yet most of the world doesn’t say anything. But in the past few days, I have kept seeing news articles that have talked about Israel continuing settlement even though the US has told them to freeze their project. Few weeks ago they said that they would freeze the settlements but are now continuing them even though they are being told not to. This is souring the relationships between the United States and Israel. I’m really annoyed that Israel has taken this step even though it is illegal for them to build houses on this land.

I personally feel there is a double standard when it comes to Israel because they seem to be getting away when they do things like this. Many times they get told they shouldn’t be doing this yet they continue to do so. I think if it was another country, which decided to build on land they would get way more pressure to stop what they are doing. Although, this times I’m glad that the US is taking the steps to tell Israel that they need to stop and I’m hoping that America will stick with that policy and not back out.

I also saw another article on Al-Jazeera, which talked about how Israel is declaring a Mosque in Hebron a national heritage for Jews. This gives me the perception that Israel is not interested in Peace especially when they do things like that. I don’t think you can use religion to declare a site because that would not be accepted in any other part of the world.
Overall, I get really frustrated when I read the news because I thought maybe peace could come to the Middle East but if Israel is doing things like this then they are halting the peace process.

Interested in reading the articles:

http://english.aljazeera.net/focus/2010/02/2010225111933403649.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124706240

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2010/03/2010315141930795117.html

2 comments:

  1. I've found that the world is a place where people say one thing and do another. This is one of those instances. I think people pretend to want one thing to appease someone, then just do what they want anyway. It's very unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree.I funny how much harder it is to actually act upon a thought, than just wishfully thinking.

    ReplyDelete